Friday, February 17, 2017

Explosive, productive D-I-level football sleepers for Michigan's class of 2018

My goodness gracious, I have been gone way too long. Sorry, y'all. As I've said many times before on this site, life happens... There is so much to catch up on. This post is just a quick list of some of the most intriguing, explosive, productive and talented Division I college football prospects (and I think under publicized) for the class of 2018 in Michigan.

-- Xavier Wade-6-2, 180-WR-Holland West Ottawa --The latest big-time D-I talent from West Ottawa (Rob Renes-DT-U-M, NFL; Ray Holliman-DT-Ohio State; Matt Vanderbeek-LB-MSU, Desmond Morgan-LB-U-M are just a few Panthers who went on to star at the next level), Wade is arguably the best wide receiver prospect on Michigan's west side. A Grand Rapids Press Dream Team member as a junior, Wade had 61 receptions for 1,033 yards and nine touchdowns last season. With his big body and athleticism, Wade is a match-up nightmare for most DBs assigned to cover him.

-- Darius Pruitt-6-3, 190-DB-Kalamazoo Central -- Like Wade, Pruitt comes from a program rich in producing big-time D-I/NFL football talent (Greg Jennings-WR-WMU, NFL; Jerome Harrison-RB-Washington State, NFL; Duane Young-TE-MSU, NFL; Scott Rehberg-OT-CMU, NFL). A lanky, fast, ball-hawk, Pruitt (think Tony Lippett-Detroit Crockett/East English Village, MSU, NFL, starting corner for the Miami Dolphins) covers a lot of ground as a safety for the Maroon Giants. Last season, Pruitt intercepted six passes en route to earning Kalamazoo Gazette Dream Team accolades.

-- Dequez Weathers-6-0, 185-RB-DB-Bay City Central -- An explosive game-breaker from the running back position, Weathers has a nose for the end zone. Last season, he rushed for 1,443 yards and 16 TDs. An all-around athlete, Weathers (4.5 40) could also play on the defensive side of the ball at the D-I level as a safety.

-- Nathan Bellinger-6-5, 245-DE-Ithaca -- An absolute terror as a rush defensive end for the perennial state powerhouse Yellowjackets, Bellinger earned Division 5-6 All-State last season. Long-armed and quick off the edge, Bellinger had 107 tackles and 12 TFL as a junior last year. I project Bellinger to possibly flesh out at 6-6, 270 at the next level and become a beast as a DE or inside at DT.

-- Ladarius Jefferson-6-2, 215-LB-QB-Muskegon -- This kid is one of my top recruits in the state of Michigan for the class of 2018. Watching the D-3 state championship game against Orchard Lake St. Mary's last year, Jefferson stood out the brightest in a contest filled with D-I talent on both sides. A bonafide D-I QB prospect (think OSU's J.T, Barrett), I like Jefferson as a linebacker. With senior teammate Andrew Ward (6-1, 215, Nebraska commit) and sophomore superstar Ali'Vonta Wallace (6-1, 210) teaming with Jefferson, the Big Reds had one of the best LB corps in the Midwest last season. The speed, tackling ability and explosiveness Jefferson showed in the state final game, along with his leadership skills, put him, in my opinion, near Ward's level already (and that is HIGH praise) as a junior. I can see Jefferson as a 6-2, 240-pound headhunter at the D-I level -- an Alabama-like physical, powerful bone-crusher in four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment